Monday 17 December 2007

Catalan Granite


It takes an office Christmas party to get some outdoor bouldering done. Although I heard last weekend's conditions were pretty good, there was not many weekend opportunities for a good bouldering session lately. Since I was going to spend the weekend in Barcelona with my workmates, I thought I might as well bring my climbing gear in case I would get a chance to try some of the already renowned Catalan granite. It is not very close to the city but I only had to carry my Mythos and a bottle of water so it was easy enough to go around.
The transport in Barcelona is clearly well developed. They have an equivalent of the Dart which leaves from the city centre (Plaza de Catalunya) every hour and follows the coast to the north. For approximately 4 euro you get a return train ticket to Vilassar de mar the closest place to the main area: Can Boquet. From the train station you must walk west towards the hills. It takes approximately 30mn by train and another 45mn on foot. Can Boquet is definitely the main spot but there are also a few other areas closer and further and the locals seem to be very busy developing the whole area:
http://blogdgranit.blogspot.com/
http://blogdgranit.blog.com/
Forum

So as Arnie puts it: I’ll be back.